Sunday, January 9, 2011

Our Christmas

Dang I'm behind on blogging. As usual.

We had a nice Christmas this year with several visitors which is always fun. The weekend before Christmas, my sister Megan had her baby, so we spent a few days in Tucson watching their little boy while she was in the hospital and taking care of her (or at least attempting to) when she arrived home. Christmas Eve Jared's brother Aaron, his wife Kjerstin, their little girl Aelyn and Kjerstin's grandparents hung out at our place and we had a lot of fun eating fondue. Eva thought that eating everything off of a stick dipped in cheese was the greatest invention ever. Then when the chocolate fondue came out the stick became unnecessary. Her hands, arms and elbows worked just fine. We saw them again on Sunday before they left. It was so fun to see them since it's been quite awhile. We had a couple more visitors after Christmas, but I'll save that for another post.Eva and cousin Aelyn


Nose picking while reading "The Night Before Christmas"

Christmas day we were by ourselves which was good since I had positively no intention of getting out of my pajamas. The girls finally woke up at 8:30. They usually get up around six, so we were just sitting around cameras charged and ready for HOURS. Eva's alarm finally went off at 8, so I waited outside her room and yelled "MERRY CHRISTMAS" when she came out. Her response was to glare at me, shut off her alarm, slam the door in my face and hop back in bed. I so look forward to the teenage years with this one. :) I expected a big reaction from Eva over her requested tiger and cement truck, but it was just kind of like "oh. there they are". and that was it. The Tiger. He goes everywhere and I mean EVERYWHERE that we do.

Lyla was digging the traditional cereal under the stockings so the rest of the gifts were kind of pointless. It reminded me a lot of the Christmas when Eva was near that age. We spent the rest of the day painting and installing doors and baseboards. That's our idea of fun on Christmas day. :)
Mmmm...cereal.


It was kind of a bitter sweet Christmas for me. I kept reflecting on the differences between this Christmas and last Christmas when we were unemployed. This Christmas we has a real Christmas tree. Last year we whacked a limb off the pine tree in the back yard. This Christmas I wasn't upset and worried about not having a store bought gift to give to Jared or the kids. We did home made gifts last year. It was a BIG deal when we received a subway gift card last year and that was our big celebratory meal on Christmas Eve. This year there was a full course menu. Last year we were at the mercy of others generosity. This year we were able to decide how much to give to those in need this Christmas. Last year we spent a great deal of time on our knees being THANKFUL. We were (and are) so blessed in a lot of ways. My testimony that our Savior knew us personally was strengthened tremendously last Christmas. This Christmas took a little more effort to feel the real spirit of Christmas. After all the gifts were unwrapped I looked and Jared and said "Last Christmas was better". Not in the unemployment aspect, but in the "This was really special" kind of feeling. I guess I need to work on having that feeling every year no matter what circumstances are going on. A very Merry (and very late) Christmas everyone!

1 comment:

Amy S. said...

So excited you posted! :)

Great pictures and I'm glad you had a good Christmas. I always love the images you paint in my mind of Eva.