Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Advice?

Does anyone out there have some advice on potty training? Eva has declared "NO MORE DIAPERS!" but...she's nowhere NEAR being potty trained in my opinion. She's only accidentally used the potty a few times. Her pediatrician gave me some material suggesting a one day approach where they basically run around naked all day drinking as much of whatever they want, the theory being the don't like peeing on themselves and will use the potty. I'm willing to try that approach at least to see if she's really interested or not, but I just wondered if anyone has any advice or success with a different approach. I think the hardest thing for me right now is that I have a 4 month old and can't watch Eva intently all day long looking for those hidden "clues". Any advice/references would be helpful!

5 comments:

Amy S. said...

I'm no expert, but I'll give my two cents. We did a pretty quick and intense approach with Joni, and it seemed to work. Here is the link for the general idea: http://drphil.com/articles/article/264

My friend here was trying to potty train her little girl recently and it wasn't going very well, so she decided to do the naked thing and it totally worked. She didn't wear any clothes for two or three days, and now she's done. I would do it over a weekend when Jared can help with Lyla so you can focus more on Eva. But maybe you don't have a choice if Eva won't wear diapers. Um, yeah, bummer.

I haven't even attempted anything with Jackson, even though he has shown interest. I decided I didn't want to deal with it while traveling and moving. But I'll be jealous in a few weeks when you have it all over with and I haven't even started.

One more thing because this is the longest comment ever - don't get too discouraged. If Eva sees you getting frazzled, she will too. Just remember that accidents are normal, and the more you act like learning to go in the potty is super fun and exciting, the more she'll think the same.

Good luck!!!

Amy S. said...

Okay, one more random idea just in case this could help. It seemed to motivate Joni when we talked about other people who wore undies/panties (or whatever word she uses) and that they keep them dry. We would talk about how daddy wears them, Omi wears them, Megan wears them, etc., etc. It seemed to make her feel like it was the thing to do and made her want to do it more.

Cyndy said...

I'm glad to know I was once an underwear (role)model. Unfortunately, at the rate I'm going I will soon be back in diapers!

Omi

Unknown said...

Andrew wants to do the whole naked potty training. He says that the week he's home after this baby is born that's going to be his job: potty training Peter.

*Not advice - just a funny story*

We bought a potty seat on Saturday and Andrew set it up in the living room and tried to get Peter to sit on it and he REALLY didn't want to. So I moved the potty to his bathroom and put him on it before his bath and he actually sat on it. Then the next day (yesterday) I did the same thing and he actually peed in his potty.

Megan G said...

Let me know how it goes... but I wouldn't stress, I have a friend who just potty trained her 4 year old. I don't really have any advice yet since my own kid isn't potty trained yet! We just sit him on the potty seat at regular times during the day and he gets chocolate chips and a sticker for going poop on the potty. So we'll see how this works out.

I did come across this post with lots of good books about the potty for kids: http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/2010/06/books-about-the-potty.html

Maybe it will help her think it's pretty cool! We also like "Duck goes Potty" by Michael Dahl (boardbook).